Who invented the internet and other questions you probably didn’t know!
A brief quiz on Computer Science history
What’s the quiz about and how to respond?
Computer Science and technology govern our lives more than ever today.
Here is a quiz which tests your knowledge about the history of this field.
Feel free to answer in the comments section or highlight and respond.
Most questions talk about a person, movie, a phenomenon and name them with either X, Y or Z. You have to guess X, Y or Z as asked.
X is the president of United States.
You have to answer who is X(In this case, it’s Donald Trump)
No cheating from the web please 😉
I have put the answers in comments now. Compare your answers with them and let us know how you fared 🙂
Okay, don’t be impatient, here are the questions for you.
1. X wrote the first compiler, in 1952, for the A-0 System language.
2. Z was an English polymath, a mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer. Z is best remembered for originating the concept of a digital programmable computer and considered by some to be “father of the computer”
3. Y was an English mathematician and writer, chiefly known for her work on Z’s(in Question 2) proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. She was the first to recognize that the machine had applications beyond pure calculation, and created the first algorithm intended to be carried out by such a machine. She is known as the first computer programmer. Y is also a name of a language.
4. X is a software engineer who created the distributed revision control system Git. He is the recipient of the 2014 IEEE Computer Society Computer Pioneer Award. X is also brains behind a very important open source software. In 2000, Time magazine recognized X as The Most Important People of the Century poll(he was 17th in their Time 100 list).
5. An English mathematician, logician and cryptographer, X was responsible for breaking the Nazi Enigma code during World War II. His work gave the Allies the edge they needed to win the war in Europe, and led to the creation of the computer. Y is a recent movie based on his story. Z is the actor who played his role.
6. “info.cern.ch” was the address of the world’s first-ever web site and web server. Who was its inventor?
7. X was a computer bug related to the formatting and storage of calendar data, a book “Computers in Crisis” was based on this problem.
8. X coined the term “artificial intelligence” (AI), developed the Lisp programming language family and is a Turing Award winner
9. In 2017, Fortune ranked X second on its World’s 50 Greatest Leaders list. After graduation, X applied for 30 different jobs and got rejected by all. “I went for a job with the police; they said, ‘you’re no good, “I even went to KFC when it came to my city. Twenty-four people went for the job. Twenty-three were accepted. I was the only guy”. In addition, he applied 10 times to Harvard and got rejected. Who is X?(This question is general, not related to CS)
10. X was a very influential French mathematician and philosopher. X worked on conic sections and projective geometry and in correspondence with Fermat he laid the foundations for the theory of probability. X invented the first digital calculator to help his father with his work in collecting taxes
Engage with the questions, have fun, and respond how many you got right.
And don’t despair if you didn’t get many right, at least now you know,
Remember, this post is all about having fun and learning along the way.
Please share some love and hit the heart symbol if you liked what you read. If you would like to read more of my work, Join my email list through the box below.