Women Tech Space Belfast
Women Tech Space was in discussion for a long time. I have been involved with Django Girls Belfast for a while now and each workshop becomes a little better, a little bit smoother, more relaxed and a lot of fun.
After each event ended however, we found it hard to keep the motivation of our attendees up. They go home, they take a look at what they’d done that day, try to do a little more, get stuck and panic. That’s completely normal, but when you’re only starting out, it’s a crisis! You google stuff, but it looks complicated, what is suggested you try doesn’t work so you…stop.
We wanted to provide a regular space where women could come and learn, get advice, collaborate and network with other women and just be really comfortable (I’m all about the comfortable!). We sat on the idea for a long time before taking the plunge and booking a venue. To our surprise it sold out within 24 hours — it became clear that there is a need for this!
Whilst Django Girls follows a very set tutorial, we aim to be more flexible. We have a mix of experienced women, students and newcomers and we want everyone to just get the best out of themselves. I do expect some people may know exactly what they want to work on (and may just need to ask some technical questions) and we will have some who see all of the stuff and don’t know where to start
With that in mind, we have a few suggestions:
- Code Academy — A good place to start if you just want to have a play around with a variety of languages.
- Django Girls — Start the tutorial, finish up where you left off at a previous workshop or do the extended exercises — there is a lot of material here and it introduces a lot of new concepts.
- Rails Girls — Not as lengthy as Django Girls but uses Ruby.
- Node School —An intro to Node.js.
- AI Playbook — A beginner’s guide to AI and what I’ll be tackling if I get a few minutes!
We do have other ideas but as this is the first one, finding our feet and growing slowly is a good tactic. We have all the time in the world!
With that said, if anyone has any other resources they’d like to share, comment below and I’ll add them onto the list as time goes on!
If you’re attending, see you Monday! If not, maybe we will see you soon. There is a Django Girls workshop on 4th November with some spaces still left. We would be delighted to see you there!
Over and out ❤